Saturday, January 12, 2013

"Awaken" - Book Review

 
Synopsis:
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.

Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.
 
 
My Review:
 
I  had never even heard of this book before I saw it on the 'NEW' shelf at my local library. But I read the synopsis and got really excited because it was about something I would want to read about. All of my friends and some family are super tech savvy and carry numerous gadgets around and are constantly texting or updating social networking sites. I, on the other hand, am the complete opposite and they all call me "old-school" for that.
The entire concept for this book is absolutely brilliant, a dystopian world that we can actually relate to as our world grows more and more technology dependant and digital everyday. Right from the very first page I was hooked and stayed hooked to the very end. Not once did I have to force myself to read, the opposite really because I would keep reading when I had a lot of important things I should have been doing.
The relationship between Justin and Maddie was so cute and I loved the budding romance that was building between them. At times I found myself getting frustrated that Justin wouldn't kiss her already! But nonetheless the frustrations felt toward Justin only added to the allure and suspense of the novel. The thing about the world Katie created in Awaken is that it's entirely possible of happening to us. Digital School is the enemy in this book because they're responsible for the 'everything must be digital' wave that swept the nation. It was a result of school shootings and bombings that were happening left and right and people no longer trusted each other and enclosed themselves in digital cocoons.
It made me sad when I read that book because when I thought about all of the shootings that have been happening in schools recently and the tragedy that happened at a movie theater here in my home town last summer  realized it was like the book. A lot of people are beginning to not trust each other, parents are taking their kids out of real schools and doing homeschooling or online schooling just like what happened in the book. This book definitely is thought provoking and is kind of enlightening about our condition as we grow more dependent on technology. I really recommend this book to anyone, it's a fantastic read, has a cute romance, and it makes you think while being very relate-able. I can't wait to read the next installment of the Awaken series and read more about Justin and Maddie's relationship.
 
 
 
HAPPY READING EVERYONE! :)

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if I'm loving the plotline but the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...