Thursday, May 16, 2013

"City of Bones" - Book Review


Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

My Review:

Awesome! City of Bones is a great start to the Mortal Instruments series. It's jam-packed with action, demon-fighting, sarcasm, romance, suspense, drama, and everything else you could want in a paranormal  YA book. Cassandra Clare has a unique writing style that's very different from other young adult writers, but different in a good way. Eloquent is the word that comes to mind when I think of her writing style. Clare's writing is so vivid and descriptive I didn't get lost once during any of the fight scenes. Some of the fight scenes I've read in other books had me lost in the middle of it because of the authors' writing styles. Cassandra, however, managed to write out the fight scenes perfectly.
I liked Jace right from the get-go. He's a smart-mouth and has endearing qualities I won't mention to prevent spoilers. You know how sometimes you read a novel and you really like a character? Maybe you and that character wouldn't get along very well in real life because your personalities would clash but you still enjoy reading scenes they're in. I smiled whenever Jace made an entrance because regardless of what was going on you could always rely on his smart-mouth to lighten up a situation a bit. He actually really reminded me of the character Loki from Amanda Hocking's Trylle trilogy.
At the beginning of the book I already knew what team I was rooting for in the little love triangle going on in City of Bones. However, as the plot progressed...things happened. I won't tell you what things happened, if you want to know you'll have to read the book yourself. The falling action leading to the conclusion of the book left me so confused. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about what happened, I think I'm still in shock and processing all of the information. I'm angry and sad for sure.
I'm still on the same team I was on at the beginning but I need to read more of the series to make sure my theories are true. I recommend City of Bones to anyone looking for a good summer read now that schools are coming to an end in time for summer fun. 



I cannot wait until the City of Bones movie adaptation comes out this summer! :D It looks really promising and I think the guy they cast to play Jace suits him perfectly. 





HAPPY READING EVERYONE! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...